Welcome to My Adventure

I hope you enjoy your visit!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Trip and Arrival


I have now been in London for an entire day and I couldn't love it more. The journey here was a bit interesting but fun nonetheless. My suitcase weighed in at the exact weight limit of 50lbs which was a major relief. The flight to Detroit was rather bumpy but the flight to London was both smooth and fun. I sat next to a local English guy about my age and he was so funny. Learning the cultural differences immediately such as the American word "pants" means underwear in England. It was also fun adjusting to hearing the accent. Sitting next to my new English friend, Chris, helped me begin my adjustment to the accent, but I still have difficulty understanding the locals from time to time. When we arrived at Heathrow we were all super tired, but immediately boarded a coach to head to our flats. Seeing the immense amount of character and history strung about the city is fascinating. I love the old houses with the big overflowing flower boxes full of color. After settling into our flat, we explored the local streets a bit and then headed to Boots which is like Walgreens. I was in desperate need of a hair dryer, shampoo and other necessities. Our afternoon was packed with tours and learning to use the Underground or "Tube". Unfortunately, several of the Tube stops were closed today for maintenance therefore causing each trip to be substantially longer. Two of my favorite stops that we made today were to an outdoor market with a variety of ethnic food, bakery treats and fruit and the other was visiting London Bridge. Tonight the Brits were eager to watch their beloved "football" team play against the U.S. in the World Cup. Like the locals, we went to a neighborhood pub to watch the game. Surprisingly the English fans were supportive of us Americans and encouraged us to cheer for our team. This was such a wonderful experience seeing the locals so excited about a game. I have a long day ahead tomorrow and I look forward to sharing it all here. Check back tomorrow to see what's happening in the UK!
AM

1 comment:

  1. Well, Miss Andrea, it certainly sounds like you've adjusted well! Keep up the posting, I lovde it!

    ReplyDelete