Welcome to My Adventure

I hope you enjoy your visit!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Brief Return to London

I had been looking forward to Thursday for a long time because I knew I was going to visit my second home. Boarding the coach to London, I was so excited for the weekend and hoped that London would be everything I remembered it to be. The city really did become like a second home to me this summer and I could not wait to go back. I was really looking forward to having a bit of familiarity in my life after a week of nothing but new surroundings and people. When I woke up Friday morning in my London hotel, I could not wait to get out into the city. As I made my way to the Tube station I had a skip in my step. I knew that I was about to be reunited with my favorite method of transportation andI had been looking forward to Thursday for quite a my treasured Oyster card. I could recite the Tube map in my sleep and I was so excited to put those skills to work and show my friends how it's done. After I scanned my Oyster card and received the approval of the beep, I knew that my journey had just begun. Keeping in mind that I was leading ten people through rush hour that had never used the Tube before, I tried to give them as much advice as possible before darting from one line to the next. The confusion and overwhelming nature of the Tube was inevitable. When we finally arrived at the Tower of London, my poor friends looked as though they had all seen a ghost. I remember all too well what my first day in London was like and I felt for them, but had to giggle at the same time. While I was excited to tour the Tower again, I was even more excited to visit one of the best kept secrets in London, my darling little monument Starbucks. I had been telling my friends all week that we HAD to go to Starbucks before the Tower, but they didn't quite understand the eagerness until they saw the little shop with their own eyes. After indulging in some Starbucks goodness, seeing the glistening Crown Jewels and another Tube journey, we headed to the famous Oxford Street to catch up on a bit of shopping, shoe shopping that is. After making a few (much needed) purchases, it was time for my friends to experience their first double-decker red bus. We jumped on the bus to head back to the Tube for another exciting journey yet again. The bus ride was quite typical, lots of honking and crazy driving, but fun nonetheless. Once the bus ride and Tube journey was over, we went to explore the London Eye, Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. It was so wonderful to be back and see all of my favorite sights. We took a nice afternoon break and sat on the wall next to the River Thames. It was awesome to enjoy the scenery of the river and all the aforementioned landmarks. London is the city of my dreams and I loved sitting there for an hour taking it all in. After a brief rest by the Thames, we headed to Westminster Abbey to attend a free Even Song service. This service is done mainly by the choir and is a great way to see the abbey free of charge. Saturday was another day filled with London fun! We tried to see the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace, but being a Saturday it was impossible to see anything with all the people there. We decided to head to Leicester Square next to buy theater tickets. We chose to see Chicago that evening and I could not wait! After getting tickets, we hopped on the Tube to head to Portobello Market. Being Saturday, there were scheduled closures on the Tube that really through our plans for a loop. Unfortunately, we were forced to backtrack and go way out of our way to get there. I was so happy that I was familiar with the system and eventually able to get to the market. Once at Portobello, I went straight to my favorite jewelry man to pay him a visit and make a few purchases. The vendor is a cute little man, probably in his seventies, from Spain and always is selling the best stuff. I can't help it but to buy something from him because he is quite funny. From the jewelry stand I leaped down the street to another favorite, the Hummingbird Bakery. I had not eaten lunch that day and I was therefore in desperate need of a Black Bottom cupcake. My eyes lit up at the sight of the pink and brown bakery sign. Both of my roommates partook in the indulgence and they are now hooked as well! After the market, it was time to get ready for dinner and the musical. We headed to the Tate Modern to enjoy a meal with a view. I enjoyed a very delicious bowl of pasta and gooseberry crumble for dessert. Aside from the yummy food, the view of St. Paul's Cathedral and the Millennium Bridge were breathtaking. After dinner, we darted to the Tube and flew through Covent Garden to the Cambridge theater. I was really excited to see Chicago because I had never seen it before. The music and acting in the show was outstanding and I enjoyed every minute of it! When I left London today I was a bit sad. I love Harlaxton and everything that comes with it, but London feels like my home when I'm in England. I know that I will be heading back shortly and I cannot wait! On the way back to the manor today, we stopped by Hampton Court Palace. This palace was the home to the infamous Henry VIII. The palace was interesting, but what I enjoyed most were the beautiful gardens. I loved looking at the flowers and walking around. Now that I am back at the manor, it is nice to be unpacked and have everything in its place. I am so happy to have Internet once again and am now looking forward to spending next weekend in Edinburgh. It is definitely time for me to hit the hay! I will try to post more later!

AM

1 comment:

  1. Your idea to attend an Evensong service as a way to see Westminster Abbey for free might just get you on the Travel Channel.

    Dig in over there. Live it up!

    ReplyDelete