Welcome to My Adventure

I hope you enjoy your visit!

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Best End to the Most Wonderful Trip

Sadly, today was my last in London. I knew that I wanted to make the most of today, so I woke up early to do so. First on today's agenda was the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. Because I am practically neighbors with the Queen, I was able to take a nice stroll down to the palace this morning. As I waited for the changing of the guards, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I figured that there would be a lot of men in red coats with big furry hats, but I didn't know much else. Before too long, I began to hear music and soon saw some guards appear. They came in playing music and all marching together. It was quite a sight to see rows and rows of guards doing exactly the same thing. As the show progressed more and more guards appeared. Horses even made appearances from time to time. Toward the end of the show two guards wearing slightly more prestigious outfits came walking directly at me. I was so excited because I was thinking that I would be able to get good pictures of the guards. As they got closer I realized that one guard was quite young and looked friendly. The two men stopped walking when they were about 10 feet away from me and began to ask how my day was going. I started to converse with the guard and told him that I liked his fuzzy hat. He told me that it was a bit hot, but had been wearing it since 1812 when they defeated the French. I was so tickled to have had the privilege of talking to one of the guards. I know that most people try to get the guards to laugh or something and this guard just walked up and started talking. I was lucky enough to capture this whole thing on video, but unfortunately it was too long to post. I will be happy to share the video with everyone when I return home. To end this wonderful day, Katie and I had planned a nice dinner on the River Thames. I made reservations earlier in the week for the seventh floor of the Tate Modern art museum. This museum sits right on the river and the view from the restaurant is unbelievable. I had been looking forward to this meal for quite some time now. Katie and I tried not to eat out much at all during the last three weeks so that we could splurge on a nice dinner tonight. It was a bit strange heading to dinner knowing that it was the last time I was going to ride the Tube for over a month. The last Tube ride was eventful at least. There was a track fire on one of the outlying tracks which caused trains to back up. Luckily, we had left plenty of time and we made it to the Tate on time. We were seated next to the wall of windows showcasing the River Thames and the beautiful city of London. We couldn't have picked a better place to eat for our last night here. For dinner there was a special that included an entree and a dessert. I selected the steak and pommes frites for my entree and a chocolate marquise for dessert. It was so nice to have someone else cook a meal for me. I love to cook and have enjoyed cooking for myself the last three weeks, but it was nice to get a break. It was also the first time I had eaten beef since I arrived in London and it was definitely a good choice. After dinner, I walked back across the Millennium Bridge toward the bus stop. I could not help but to take a few last minute photos of the gorgeous city. As I waited for the bus, I was thinking about how much I love this city and what an amazing time I have had. London really feels like home now and I could totally love living here in the future. Knowing that I will be back to England in a short seven weeks makes me very happy, but I still am not ready to leave. I have never enjoyed a trip as much as this or not been ready to head home at the end. This trip has definitely been far different from others that I have taken. I have learned so much about myself about how I handle different situations, adjust to a new culture and even about landmarks and businesses. Even though I was only in London for three weeks, I know that I saw and did as much as I possibly could have done. I cannot wait to return to this country in August because I know the amazing experiences will only continue to grow and broaden. Thanks for following me. Check back throughout the next week. :)

AM


No comments:

Post a Comment